Monday, June 6, 2011

Driftwood Hangers

This is a good way to have the perfect hangers for you house/apartment. They are easy to make and will look good.

-Chloe

∆DIY∆ Painted Driftwood Key Hook/Jewelry Organizer


Things you need for this DIY:
*driftwood
*acrylic paint
*hooks
*glue
*pliers
*a drill
*two screws
*keys/jewelry

Total time: 
1 hour

Total cost:
$3.00
(excluding items I already had; drill, screws, glue, etc.)


While I was in California for the holidays, I dragged Rubin and my best friend Rachel to Albany Beach. It's mainly used as a dog park so there were a lot of happy dogs running around having what looked like the most fun they'd ever had.


I was there for the driftwood. (With many projects in mind) 


I decided I wanted to paint a few of them to add a personal touch. I fell in love with this image of hand painted sticks by Ginette Lapalme, so I shamelessly copied them.


Here are my first few pieces. Driftwood is usually very porous so use as little water as possible, the paint should be the consistency of yogurt. I had to give it a few coats before it was opaque. The porousness also makes it dry fast so you can do this whole DIY in about an hour. 



My camera doesn't do great with low lighting so here is a shot with the flash.


These hooks are about $0.50 each at the hardware store.


Glue.


The wood was so soft I just screwed in the hooks by hand. If your wood is harder you may need to pre-drill your holes. I added a little wood glue to be sure they would stay in place.


It was really easy to get these in but I had to use pliers at the end for a few of them.


I spaced them an inch and a half apart, which gave me six hooks. 


I drilled a hole on each side and used a bigger bit to make a sink for the head of the screw.


And that's it. Since the whole thing (including keys) is so light I didn't bother with anchors. Obviously you can vary hook size and make a driftwood hook for something other than keys or jewelry but be wary of weight. Driftwood isn't usually a very strong material but that depends on the condition of the wood.



Enjoy!

Don't have time to ∆DIY∆? Buy it here.  



No comments:

Post a Comment